Job description: Environmental and Social Safeguard Specialist (E001/03/2022)
- Terms: Full Time,
- Commencement: Immediately upon contract signing
- Duty station: Meru County
- Application Deadline: 5th July 2022
- Salary: Confidential
The Environmental and Social Safeguard specialists will provide support and technical assistance to the CORE Project team in the implementation of the safeguard requirements to ensure social, environment, health and safety management issues are efficiently and effectively handled in line with the World Bank’s Environmental and Social Framework (ESF)to meet the requirements of the World Bank’s Environmental and Social Standards (ESSs), Health and Safety (EHS) guidelines, Kenya Government Occupational Safety and Health Act 2007 and to comply with other relevant laws and regulations of the Government of Kenya.
They will also Support in the co-ordination of capacity building and training activities to ensure the principles and procedures for Project ESCP, LMP, SEP and GRM are well understood and complied with by stakeholders and; Monitor Environment and Social safeguards implementation and undertake annual Environmental and social Audits.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Advise and lead the entire team in the coordination and implementation of safeguards requirements in compliance with the Project documents prepared; Labor Management Procedures (LMP), Environmental and Social Management Plan (ESMP), Grievance Redress Mechanism ( GRM), Stakeholder Engagement Plan (SEP) and Environmental and Social Commitment Plan (ESCP);
- Prepare internal environment and social guidelines for the implementation, monitoring and reporting of the environment and social documents as required by Project E&S instruments,
- Review the occupational safety and Health (OSH) procedures and determine their adequacy and levels of implementation
- Monitor ESMP implementation and give guidance in the implementation of environmental and social standards.
- Conduct regular field visits to assess and observe where construction activities are ongoing and at material sourcing sites to monitor environmental measures and controls are in operation as described in the ESMP,
- Act as the focal point on Grievance Redress and facilitate the resolution of issues while supporting the establishment and training of a selected focal person within the PMU to handle Grievance Redress issues and facilitate the resolution of issues;
- Technically support the PMU in creating awareness of the Grievance Redress Mechanism amongst all the stakeholders through public awareness campaigns; and support dissemination of information to the concerned local communities as proposed in the GRM,
- Assess if the grievance redress mechanisms established for the Project are functioning appropriately and the Project is implemented in an environmentally sustainable manner;
- Ensure that Gender Based Violence (GBV),Sexual exploitation and abuse and Sexual harassment (SEA – SH) issues are appropriately handled by a robust and sensitive system
- Develop a system to document information on grievances and redress and progress for monthly/quarterly reporting.
- Develop a training module for Project implementation team and community workers and ensure that all staff receives the requisite environment social health and safety training.
- Contribute to Project progress reports pertaining to overall implementation of environmental and social requirements of the Project as requested by World Bank (monthly, quarterly etc.), on progress on environmental safeguards for all sub-projects;
- Support the monitoring and compliance with Environmental and Social Standards requirements by undertaking periodic audits of all sub-project activities
- Any other duty as maybe assigned by the CORE Project Coordinator
DEGREE OF EXPERTISE AND QUALIFICATIONS
The consultant should have the following qualifications and experience:
- Minimum Bachelor degree in Environmental and Social Studies, Applied Social Sciences, Sociology, Anthropology and/or its equivalent in other related fields;
- At least 5 years’ experience in support of the both environment management and social development and working knowledge in the World Bank’s safeguards policies;
- The Consultant should be registered with Environment Institute of Kenya, Lead Expert with NEMA and have a valid Practicing License ;
- Work experience with implementation of labor based or labor intensive Projects especially Roads 2000 or construction industry will be added advantage;
- Experience in drafting manuals and guidelines and/or standards;
- Experience in supervision of Projects including management of Project related grievances
- Strong analytical and writing skills and track record in producing relevant training, communication and knowledge materials;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills and experience in organizing and facilitating consultations and workshops;